Our mission is to transform the way people think about home movies by providing the means to discover, celebrate, and preserve them as cultural heritage.
Our vision is for a society where all families and communities value and properly care for their home movies and pass them on to future generations to learn from and enjoy.
As an organization and as individuals we value integrity, openness, collaboration, innovation, continual self-improvement, and mutual respect. We hold ourselves accountable to the public and the preservation field to act in the best interest of all amateur moving images.
The purpose of the Center for Home Movies (CHM) is to collect, preserve, provide access to, and promote understanding of home movies and amateur motion pictures. The activities of the CHM include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Contributing to a strong community through efforts with local cultural, historical and educational institutions;
- Forging partnerships with institutions and individuals worldwide;
- Collecting home movies and related materials of national and international significance;
- Promoting ongoing documentation of people and cultures through moving images;
- Encouraging the use of home movies in multidisciplinary research and study;
- Deepening our understanding of people and cultures through exhibitions, programs, and other activities.